Monday, April 21, 2008

My dreams

I dream often.......quite often......in my sleep, and the key thing is, I remember most of them when I wake up. Normally, as people wake up from their sleep, they don't often remember their dreams, if it is not a nightmare. But I, fortunately or unfortunately, remember them quite accurately for a good period of time.

The funny thing is, the characters which appear in my dreams do not have any apparent connection between themselves, although each one of them is known to me in different contexts and happenings of life. It is almost impossible that a professor of my department will turn up in one of our family gatherings. But in my dream, everything is possible, and even more, that professor, who rarely smiles while teaching in the class, is seen to take my 7-year old cousin brother on his lap and sing nursery rhymes to him!! In numerous occasions, I have seen my father chatting with my Department Head about Indian politics, which I know, can never happen in reality. But dreams are dreams, as people say, manifestations of our subconsious mind. But even if that is taken into consideration, I can never think of such a weird conversation between the two persons who will never, in fact, meet each other in reality.

Recently, after coming back from home, I am dreaming a lot about family picnics and get-togethers. Only yesterday, I dreamt that our entire family, along with all my cousins, aunts and uncles, have gone to a place for a Sunday picnic. The place was at the suburbs of Calcutta, about two-hours duration in the local train. Since it was a picnic, however, we went by a rented minibus. But here the situation was like a repetation. We indeed did have a picnic in 2006, when I went home during the winter, in the same place. Yesterday's dream was just an imitation of the entire chain of events which did happen two years ago. But, in the end, as far as I can remember, all of us ended up over the top of a mountain, and the road which leads to the plainland was blocked due to the falling of a giant tree because of severe storm. The dream ended there, where everyone of us were staring at each other, but the reason which resulted this event was never explained. It was as if a movie coming abruptly to an end.

Apart from these abrupt endings, normally my dreams are quite nice, which are mostly about family gatherings (the fact remains that, I miss my family very much even though I am living alone for four years), where sometimes some unexpected guets turns up. I have never dreamt that I am along with some celebrity, or myself doing some spectacular stunts like going to the moon, beating up a gang of robbers single-handedly or things of these kinds. My dreams, sadly, does not deviate much from the family genre(What a mess, dreams are also being divided into genres!!).

Only once, I was chased by a gunman in my dream. But instead of beating him up, I fled and ran as hard as I could. After running for a long time (dreams do not allow to record the duration), I was able to see the door of my house. As I was approaching the door, I heard that the gunman unlatched his revolver, and was ready to fire. I could just open the door, led myself in, and closed the door when the shot was fired. The bullet missed me for an inch, creating a hole in the door. At this point, my dream was broken. When I realized that it was just a dream, or more accurately, a nightmare, I was relieved. After that, I have tried many times to see the ending of this exciting event, but without any success. Dreams, I think, never repeat themselves.

1 comment:

spilledbytes said...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QYdhOy-cwzY&feature=related