Sunday, February 17, 2008

Disgustingly Essential

Living alone is really challenging. You have to take care of everything starting from Apples to Zip-loc bags. For me it is more problematic since I do not have any roommates . It is not about feeling lonely, bored or things like that (in fact, I don't get time for these), but there are certain household jobs, which I dislike to do but have no other options as they are very essential as well. Here goes my list of those jobs which occupy the lowest ranks in my preferrence order:
  • Laundry : This is the most disgusting and boring task I have ever done in my life. Once in every two-three weeks, I have to carry a heavy bucket full of clothes to the nearby Laundromat and stare blankly at the rotating washing machine or the revolving dryer. Two hours seem like eternity to me. Folding the clothes after drying is another Himalayan task.
  • Dish washing : It always feels good to throw the dish into the basin-sink after lunch or dinner, leave the rice cooker, pressure cooker and other cookwares uncleaned within the sink. Do this for three times (which I normally do), and the fourth time you'll be in trouble. It seems to me like I had a party the night before, and cleaning those utensils take about a quater of an hour. To trouble me more, the water refuses to go away, and my sink turns into a pool, where the spoons and plates float as if to mock me. Cleaning up the entire mess takes another 15 minutes.
  • Cooking : In many occasions, I come home around 9-9:30 in the night, tired and hungry, and when I open the fridge , it has nothing cooked in it other than the overnight rice. With soaring temper and hunger, I start looking for a meal which can be prepared with minimum effort so that I can get away with the hunger. On the other hand, when there is food already cooked(i.e, on the next day), it feels like I am the happiest person on Earth for that moment. Cooking twice a week is more than enough for me.
Each of the above mentioned tasks are very much essential for living. So, no matter how much I try to avoid them, there is no way!

Jeene ke liye kya kuchh nahin karna parta hai !

No comments: