Thursday, February 14, 2008

Wow, Wiki.....

A few days ago, in one of our usual daily telephone conference, the topics of discussion twisted and turned and finally, we started talking about Indian History, more precisely, about the Mughal dynasty!! It is not unusual, because when we talk, the wide range of topics sometimes fall short before our enthusiasm. So that day, we decided to refresh our long-forgotten History knowledge.

One of my friends told the list of Mughal emperors starting from Babur and ending at Aurangzeb. Then, I asked, "Okay, tell me the name of Babur's father"!! Well, this was an unusual question for them, and honestly, for me too. In general, we never felt the urge to look upon Babur's forefathers, as if, the Mughal dynasty started with Babur himself!! So, quite naturally, my friends were stumped!! Then, after a few seconds, I jubiliantly told them, "Guys, you don't even know this?? Babur was the eldest son of Omar Seyh Mirza. This is class VIII stuff, everybody should know this!!" Relishing their silence, I told them about the battles of Panipat, when they were fought, their consequences - in short, a brief background of Babur's life, and also a brief history of the Mughal period.

Then, one of my friends exclaimed, "
Byata fer Wiki khulechhe!!!"

Yes, I honestly admit that Wikipedia is the secret of my information. Films or actors, history or geography, mathematics or physics- Wiki knows everything about everything. I have to type the appropriate keyword in Google, and the rest is evident. If you are patient enough, you will be able to learn a variety of things in a very short time. Whenever I have some doubt about some facts, I can double check with Wiki. I rely so much on Wiki that instead of opening books for definitions, I first read them from Wikipedia. I would like to use the old adjective
Unputdownable to describe this site in one word.

So via this post, I decided to thank my dear Wikipedia, saying


Wikipedia, tomarey selaam
!!


No comments: