Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Fight with Flights

There are certain things in life which does not fit the way you want to fit them. No matter how cautious you are, how minutely you work out with it, it simply does not work. One such thing in my life is related with aeroplanes, more precisely, my journey with aeroplanes.

The first time I boarded an aeroplane was when I came in US. At that time, I enjoyed the journey very much, although many people told me that plane journey is boring, hectic etc etc. But I did not feel any of them. But things started getting messy when I boarded for the second time, and its still continuing.

I was very excited last summer, when I was going home for the first time. My friend dropped me at the Airport, well ahead of time. I completed the security check-in and all formalities, and reaching the announced gate of departure, I started chatting over phone. There was still 40 minutes left before boarding. Slowly, I got involved into the conversation so much that I forgot I have to go somewhere, I am not in my drawing room, I am at the Airport. Anyways, after some time( of whcih I have no idea) I glanced at the clock. According to the watch, the boarding should have started by then. Only 5 minutes were left for the plane to take-off. I stopped chatting, and enquired at the front desk.

The person told me," It is about to take -off"! I exclaimed, " But when did the boarding take place? I am sitting here for the last 40 minutes??" He, without any expression, told, " Well, the Gate has changed. Instead of gate 5, passengeres boarded from gate 6" !! I , bewildered, told, " Didn't you announce?" He told, " Yessir, I announced thrice. Where were you???" I was stunned. I understood that I have missed the flight due to my sheer carelessness and dumbness. Then, I enquired," When is the next flight to Dallas?" He told in about half an hour. I was lucky that time, because I was able to catch up with the connecting flights without much hassle, and reached home safely.

This is not the only mishap with planes. Few months back, I went to Gainesville. While coming back, my flight was scheduled at 6 am, I reached the airport on time, boarded the plane on time ( with my cell phone off) and getting to my seat, I slept.
I woke up after sometime(later I realised I slept for nearly 2 hours). I felt that the plane is not moving. I thought that I have reached the destination, which was Dallas yet again. So happily, I started approaching the gate, although I saw a few people were still seating there. On reaching the door, the air-hostess told me, " Sir, the next flight to Dallas is not scheduled yet". I was amazed! Trying to keep myself cool, I ejaculated, " What????????? The flight has not departed yet? Damn it!!!!!!" Yes, due to mechanical fault, the flight was delayed for more than 2 hours!!!!! Quite obviously, I missed the connecting flight from Dallas. On reaching Dallas, I went to the airlines desk and told them my situation. They knew the matter, and a guy told me that a flight to Wichita is going to take-off shortly, and if somebody fails to show up, they can put me in.

I sat nearby, and was glancing at my watch in every 2 minutes. After about 15 minutes, I went again, and asked him whether there was any vacancy. The person looked at me as if he saw me for the first time! I expalined him the matter once more, showing a lot of patience. He told," I'm extremely sorry sir! All passengers have already boarded, though there is one vacancy. If you wish, you can go straight to the runway!!!!!" Without wasting a moment, I rushed towards the runway, and confidently was about to board the plane, when 2-3 security guys told me, " STOP! STOP!!!!!!" I'm sure they thought that I was a terrorist or something and started running towards me. After listening to the matter, they called the desk, and finally I was allowed to get in!!!!!!

The last time when I boarded a plane was one month ago, while coming back from home for the second time. Everything went smoothly till I reached Dallas. But again, i got stuck there. Due to severe snowstorm without any prior notice, the runways were covered with ice, and all the planes from Dallas were cancelled for 8 hours! I wasted valuable 8 hours at the Dallas airport!!

So, thats how it is going on so far. Either I am late, or the flight is late, or if everything works fine, the Nature intervenes. I dont know how long will it continue, but one thing is for sure: I will NEVER EVER make a stopover in DALLAS!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

spilledbytes said...

Mind-blowing... post a comment on your latest experience from your CA trip... :)