Saturday, March 31, 2007

Rain rules

It is raining here for the last 2 days, sometimes heavily, sometimes light drizzle, what in bengali we call as "ilsheguri bristy". In Wichita, we do not get much rain, in an entire year, it rains only for 10-12 days. Back home, I used to enjoy rain very much. I still remember the days when the streets used to get water-logged , and while returning from school, I , walking in the water barefooted, with the shoes in hand,and occasionally splashing water to the passers-by, and quite naturally did not care at all about what remarks or curses they used to bestow upon me.

But here, since the rainy days are very few, I do not get those good old days. Also, here the streets do not get water-logged, so the splashing business is out of question. The only thing I can get here is to drench in the rain. It is really a great pleasure for me. The walk from my apartment to the department takes about 10 minutes, and when I reached the department today, I was totally wet, and on entering the office, the carpets got wet as well. One of my office-mates, in a not-so-pleasant tone, asked me " Don't you have an umbrella? " I , reluctantly, replied," Yeah, I do. But I did not bring it. Its great walking in the rain without an umbrella". Hearing this, he looked at me in a such a way that he is looking at a lunatic or a totally insane person, and as if I have committed a crime or something of that kind.

For Bengalees, Khichuri and ilish machh bhaja are synonymous with rain. I cannot, or more precisely, do not, try khichuri(specially after the spinach disaster), but ilish is very much available here. So, yesterday night, as it was raining outside, I had a delicious dinner with rice, daal and ilish bhaja. I hope to repeat the same thing today. A peg of Bacardi Gold with coke, accompanied by some soft instrumentals, will create the perfect friday night ambience required. So am finishing off today, and intend to return some other time with some new information.



No comments: