Thursday, March 1, 2007

Morning Chronicle

After being away from this blogging business for 2 weeks, I am back yet again. Not a bit of my life changed in these 14 days. The same old monotonous routine, followed by the same person(I mean myself), in the same mechanical way! But still, I thought of scribbling something as I am sipping the morning tea.

2-3 days ago, a friend of our department took me with him for lunch at his home. Well, in US, one should never reject a lunch/dinner invitation, specially a laid-back person like me. So I went with him to his apartment.

I had come once in his place. The guy is otherwise fine, but he talks too much, and most of the time, he talks about himself, his beliefs, his girlfriend, his research, and on top of all----------- about GANDHI!.

He admires Gandhi for "plain living, high thinking", and so, he is also trying to do the same. One important fact what he told me before was that, he and his girlfriend, never go to big shopping centers like WALMART or so. They hate these big corporate houses and try to support local businessmen and farmers. A very noble way to think, off course! My friend, LAGE RAHO!

He prepared vegetable noodles(chowmein in my language). One thing is for sure, although he follows "Gandhian" principle, his eating habits are quite good, strictly veggie , though. He is a good cook as well!


While coming back to school, he started talking about America. He gave me some new concepts about the people of this country, which I did not notice before. I want to mention a couple of these ideas:

1) In coffeeshops, book stores, foodjoints, there exists a class of young men and women, mainly teenagers, dressed neatly, with ipod in the ear, laptop in front, looking very anxiously at the screen. This is the newly-emerging "Intellectual Class" of United States. They are always busy without any business.

2) We see a lot of SUV s in the streets here. I do not know the actual full form, but my friend told that SUV means Spoiled Useless Vehicle !!!!!!!!! Whatever might be, 95 % of the SUV s are droven here by skinny ladies. weighing 90 pounds or so ! A person of 90 pounds is driving a car weighing 4000 pounds!!!!!!!!!! That is really a significant point to note.

These two ideas, specially the second one, amazed me very much. Whenever I see a SUV now, I try to look at the drivers' seat, and in some cases, I really see a skinny lady !

I wish my friend all the besh wishes for his keen observations , a couple of which I mentioned here. Once again I want to say him, "LAGE RAHO"!!!!!!!!!!!!!




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The actual SU is Sports Utility.. as far as I know...

Er por to - 90 pund hoye 18-wheeler chalabe re.. bhebe dekh..

Arijit said...

[:D]------you are right, thanks for the info. but SPOILED USELESS is fine with me